Thursday, March 26, 2009

Animal magnetism

Last night, I formed a theory about dogs and, to a lesser extent, cats.

Hypothesis: Dogs and cats, when laying down, have the ability to change their density based on mood, or, are able to increase the pull of gravity on their bodies at will.

How I came up with this theory: Each and every time I plunk Maizie onto the bed for sleeptime, she takes a few steps and lays down right in the middle of the bed. Now, normally, if two people were sleeping in the bed, this wouldn't be a problem. I'd be on one side, person 2 would be on the other, and Maizie could fit easily in the center. However, since I sleep alone, I sleep in the middle, and as we know, two things cannot occupy the same space at the same time. Since I am the master hu-man, and she is the pet, I frequently decide it is she who must move, not me. Time and again, however, I cannot move her with my clearly week legs. I push, I shove, and generally try very hard to get her to move. In the end, unless she moves on her own, I am stuck trying to maneuver my legs around her in a comfortable way. Now, when she is laying on the floor and wants a cuddle, I have no trouble at all picking her up. When she is on the couch, cuddling, asleep, or playing with her rawhide chew, she is the fabled Immovable Object. As for cats, I have heard similar stories from cat-owning friends, so will include them in the

How can we test this? I don't know. I'm not a scientist. We'll science a way.

No comments: