Friday, December 26, 2008

The Holidays

Father Christmas, Grandfather Time, and the New Year's Baby. What possesses us to personify every abstract concept? These are the three that relate to this time of year, but there are numerous others. I always thought we did it to accommodate our limited brains, and give them something with which to associate abstractions. Lately, however, I've started running with a different theory: we personify everything because if it's "like" us, maybe we can have some limited control over it. This is my main theory, but I also secretly think the people who came up with these personas for holiday people are the same people who put on animal costumes and have sex with each other. Just a theory.

Right! So Christmas was yesterday, and it was so lovely. Christmas eve was lovely also! The list of attendees is as follows (I will forget if I do not list them): Mom, Dad, Grandma, Aunt + husband, Uncle + wife (Illinois), Cousin + husband and twins (San Antonio), Great Aunt, Great Aunt's son + wife, Mom's second cousin's wife (husband sick), Art + Jeanette (family friends), and me + doggie. A big crowd, but a nice one. I love my family so much. We got out a puzzle to put together, but everyone's older now, and they don't seem interested in sticking around after it gets dark. The kids were fantastic with Maizie. They took in a stray dog recently, so they are learning about pets, but their dog is much more active than poor Maizie. She was a little trooper though. As long as I was nearby, she let the little kids pet her. She fell in love with my Grandma. Later on after most of the people had left, Grandma picked her up and held her for awhile, and she was just the happiest thing.

I guess I'll mention my swag, though it isn't the most important part of the holiday at all. The presents list: computer speakers, mp3 player, book, Rock Band 2, a nail trimmer device thingy for my dog, and some money. All I asked for were the speakers, so my parents really went overboard! I hope they didn't spend much on the mp3 player. I know how much the other stuff cost, and I'm slightly miffed that they spent all that money, since they're in the process of building a new house. Oh well. I'll ne'er complain loudly about extra presents. Protests are courtesy only ;)! Well, that's about all I've got. I wasn't going to post, but there is NOTHING to do at work, so yeah. Ta ta!

No comments: