Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Biting off more than you can chew

This post is partly about the economy, and partly about the pudu.

The pudu is a tiny deer. It is, in fact, the world's tiniest deer. I took the liberty of doing a Google image search for it. It is the cutest thing you will ever see besides my adorable dog. That said, who wants to help me start a pudu farm in Arizona?

Even with the economy the way it is, I think the pudu as a pet would be a most excellent use of your money. It lives 8-10 years in the wild, so just think what it can live to when domesticated! This is an important project, and I am looking for investors.

Speaking of the economy, I read an interesting article yesterday about how the economy may fundamentally change the way my generation thinks about money. "They" say people won't rely as much on credit cards and debt except for large purchases. The general consensus is that credit got us into this crisis, and cannot possibly help to get us out. While I agree somewhat, I do not think the acquisition of credit is an entirely bad thing on a small scale. Now, that's not to say I'm going to go out and get any new credit cards or what have you, but I AM going to keep using my credit card for its intended purpose. I use it for large electronic purchases and clothing ONLY.

The thing about credit is that you have to set limits. Not just spending limits, but I've always avoided trouble with large interest rates by paying attention to what I'm buying, and not entering into any debt (credit card or otherwise) that I don't project paying off in a comfortable length of time. Acquiring GOOD debt is a necessary thing. I think credit scores are not that bad a way to approve someone for, say, a mortgage. The person you're getting it from doesn't know you at all, and without someone trustworthy vouching for you, they're not likely to just hand over a large sum of money. So yeah. Morals of the story: don't cut up all your credit cards, just cut up some, and keep your spending to reasonable levels.

Now, you may be wondering, "Why the pudu?" The simple answer is that I am easily distracted by adorable things, and that was just the latest adorable thing to catch my eye. BWaAAAAA ready for today to end. Enjoy your day, lovelies.

No comments: