Thursday, January 29, 2009

Music fuel

I hope you all enjoyed my fanciful journey last time. I debated writing in all "text message speak," but as I was typing "norly," "plx," and "kthxbye" I realized that I would have to stab someone in the throat when I finished, and that was just too much for a Tuesday.

Today I'm pondering music and emotion. Studies have been done, lectures have been taught, and conferences have been given order to discuss the concept of music as a vehicle for and cause of emotion. I could have told you ANY of that just by looking at the faces of concert-goers and happy-pedestrian-mp3-player-wearers. There is nothing quite like a song to inspire, frighten, soothe, enrage, cheer, or depress you.

Observing people only goes so far, though, if you're not doing a quantitative study, so all I have is personal experience.

Here is a list of just a few of the songs that particularly affect me: "Hold Your Colour" by Pendulum, "Omnibus" by Laut Sprecher, "When You Were Young" by the Killers, "My Own Way" by the Rembrandts (shut up, shut up!), "Everywhere" by Michelle Branch, and "Hoppípolla" by Sigur Rós. Now, don't be confused. I don't necessarily OMGLOVE all of these songs, and I don't listen to them all the time, but if I need inspiration for my next brilliant short story (::snort::), I put a certain few songs on repeat and go to town. Hold Your Colour, for example, inspires me to write for a character experiencing the fantastic, while Omnibus is for straight up action scenes. Hoppípolla is for more serious works, or for writing in another time period (see last post), while When You Were Young elicits a bitter, spiteful emotional state for some reason. I haven't found a real use for it yet...

Anyway, what about you guys? What songs really make you feel something?

No comments: